Recipe: The Chameleon Cookie
So I teased earlier this week that I'd uncovered a shortbread recipe that could be recreated 4+ ways and now I have the time to teach you how to make it!
It's my Nana's trustworthy shortbread creams recipe made unique with whatever you had on hand; I used Bonne Maman's Raspberry Jam, some white chocolate buttons and a few dots of bottled fruit mince (it had been sitting in my fridge for months). But you could use: any other jam like substance, tiny sweet currants (stirring them through the recipe), a Fantale (I imagine it would bake into gooey caramel perfection), the biscuit base is so perfectly simple I can imagine it suiting almost any sweet pairing. For all my efforts - Pete still prefers them plain!
Have fun with the recipe, make it your own then report back with your delicious findings.
THE CHAMELEON COOKIE
- 250 GRAMS OF UNSALTED BUTTER ROOM TEMPERATURE - I like using 'salted', it adds a nice savoury balance
- ½ CUP CASTER SUGAR
- 1 EGG YOLK
- 2 CUPS PLAIN FLOUR
- ½ CUP CORNFLOUR
- 1 ½ TEASPOONS OF BAKING POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA ESSENCE/EXTRACT
- SET FAN FORCED OVEN TO 160°C AND LINE TWO BISCUIT TRAYS WITH BAKING PAPER.
- PLACE BUTTER IN MIXER AND BEAT UNTIL LIGHT, ABOUT FIVE MINUTES. ADD SUGAR AND BEAT FOR ANOTHER FIVE MINUTES, OR UNTIL CREAMY AND SMOOTH. ADD EGG YOLK AND VANILLA TO BUTTER MIXTURE, MIX WELL.
- SIFT FLOUR, CORNFLOUR AND BAKING POWDER, AND GENTLY STIR THROUGH BUTTER MIXTURE UNTIL JUST COMBINED.
- USE YOUR HANDS TO ROLL THE DOUGH INTO BALLS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A WALNUT (THE SMALLER THE BETTER) AND PLACE ON LINED TRAYS, PRESSING DOWN LIGHTLY WITH THE HEEL OF YOUR HAND.
- USING YOUR THUMB, PUSH DOWN INTO THE BISCUIT TO CREATE A SMALL WELL.
- NOW ADD YOUR SPECIAL FILLING, AND POP IN THE OVEN FOR AROUND 15 MINUTES - OR UNTIL SLIGHTLY GOLDEN COLOURED.
- *HOT TIP*: AFTER TAKING YOUR BISCUITS OUT OF THE OVEN TOP THEM UP WITH A LITTLE MORE JAM FROM THE JAR (OR WHATEVER LIQUID YOU'VE USED) WHILE THEY'RE STILL WARM. IT MAKES THE BISCUIT TASTE A LOT MORE LUSCIOUS.
- AFTER A FEW MINUTES, COOL ON RACK.
- STORE IN AN AIRTIGHT TIN/CONTAINER.